Prep Crew Team Mixes Experience with Youth in Inaugural Season

Mimi Parent, Staff Writer

The Prep athletic department has recently created a new rowing team. Starting this spring season, rowers of the Seattle Prep community will finally be able to represent their school.
The coaching staff is from the College Club of Seattle, a boathouse and rowing team located on Lake Union. The coaches will be Tom Kellett for the women’s team and Matt Zatorski for the men’s team. Both of these coaches are highly experienced and have lead their past teams to medaling in multiple championships. Tom Kellet has been coaching for six years and is the head coach for the College Club of Seattle and has won four medals for the club. Matt Zatorski has coached and rowed for his alma mater, Loyola Academy. In addition, in 2010 Zatorski founded the Institute for Rowing Leadership at Community Rowing, Inc., an education program for new rowing coaches. Tom Kellet and Matt Zatorski plan to create a highly competitive team and win local and national championships while incorporating the values of dedication, teamwork, and service.
The students of Seattle Prep are also very excited to be apart of the new rowing team. Bryannah Mahoney, a freshman on the varsity team, says, “It’s pretty great. The coaches are really good. More people should join!” The team is made up of mostly freshmen, many with previous experience. Like most sports, the practices are physically demanding. Land practices consist of lifting, running, and using the erg (a rowing machine for land). Water practices consist of rowing on Lake Union. Although this is hard work many rowers believe this will make the team a stronger unit. Gerry Anderson, a freshman on varsity states, “With a new team, it can be hard to work together but with the work and determination everyone is giving, we are more prepared and ready to compete in the upcoming regatta (competition)”. The new rowing team has made great progress and has a bright future ahead.