Sign Me Up

Club Fair 2016 Draws Crowds

The Feminism Interest Group meets to discuss plans for the year. FIG seeks to emphasize gender equality throughout the Seattle Prep community.

George Kent and Emma Cooney

The Great Room was abuzz on Friday September 9th as students of all kinds and ages gathered to celebrate and find more information on Prep’s clubs. Tables ringed the Great Room, advertising everything from Robotics to Pep Band. The Panther was there in force, getting the inside scoop.

Asian American Association

Getting an audience with the Asian American Association leaders was not an easy feat. The AAA booth, decorated with a tasteful painting of a cherry blossom tree, was easily the best attended table in the room. After pushing my way through a crowd of chattering kids, students were greeted by Jared Nakata ‘17, the self-proclaimed leader of the AAA, as well as Rachel Wang ‘18, and Jacob Terao ‘17.  The group was very welcoming, and informed all students that it was okay if they aren’t Asian. The club is called Asian American Association, so everyone qualifies.  The group then filled students in on the goal of The Asian American Association: to meet every week and hang out, helping to break down barriers of race. This apparently is a popular motto, as the club had already gained 27 new members halfway through the lunch period.

Global Justice Coalition

Though the GJC table didn’t attract as much of a crowd as the Asian American Association, there was something that drew Prepsters over to Gabe Berger ’17, Maddie Kopf-Patterson ’18, and Jackie Usibelli ’17 at their modest booth adorned with a simple poster in the Great Room. They spoke with pure and genuine enthusiasm about the club and its activities. The purpose of Global Justice Coalition is to bring up social justice issues, fundraise, and educate the Prep community about those issues. The best thing about GJC is that you get to make, “a real difference in people’s lives.” You don’t join GJC to sit around.

One Voice

Quinn Floyd ‘18 and Bana Gebre ’18 manned the colorfully painted booth, and explained how One Voice works. The group’s official motto is: “We are dedicated to promoting justice for and acceptance of all sexual orientations.” The group meets every other week, offering free pizza, to discuss social issues. There are about 20 main members of the group, and seven more had signed up halfway through the lunch period.

Latino Club

As soon as students got within viewing range of the Latino Club booth, they were drawn in by Julia Ribas ’18, Sofia Gutierrez ’18, Sydney Golden ’18, and Benjamin Galindo-Navarro ’18. The talking was louder, the snacks were plentiful, and everyone sat together having a good time. “We spread and celebrate the Latin culture on and off campus,” Ribas explained. One of the coolest things about Latino Club, besides the guacamole, is the Latino Summit held in the spring, where other Latino students from the western US gather together. To sum it up, Ribas said, “Latino Club is just a really great group of people, they are supportive and you always know that even outside of the club, people will have your back. It’s one big Latino family.”

Video Game Club

One of two new clubs at Prep this year, Video Game Club is being helmed by Hudson Patterson ’18, Jules Hancock ’18, and Faculty Adviser Nate Barmore. The club plans to meet each week to play games (nothing R-rated) and discuss topics relating to video games. The group had gained about 15 students halfway through the lunch period, and Patterson estimates that about 20 students will attend meetings.

FIG

The tight-knit community of FIG became apparent as soon as they were spotted. Everyone was relaxed but confident in answering questions about gender inequalities in the Prep community. The purpose of FIG is to study gender injustices and how to combat them. For example, this year the club is going to host several guest speakers and hold a self-defense class. The emphasis of FIG is on gender equality, not superiority. As artistic director Bailey Flinn said, “Other people should join FIG because feminism applies to everyone. Even though some may believe that they don’t really experience injustice on a daily basis, it is everywhere and affects everyone.”

Robotics

Robotics club is part of a large collection of teams competing worldwide. The club competes in competitions around the city in which teams compete with the robots they have built to play a game similar to badminton or volleyball against other robots. Each team around the world uses the same system of Vex pieces to create a robot. About 17 students currently participate.

Innovateen

True to their nature, the Innovateen representatives came prepared on Friday with their table decked out in an informative trifold poster board. In a similar fashion, they eagerly delegated a single representative to speak for the club, founder and junior, Angela Lin. Lin talked enthusiastically about the club and all the great opportunities it offered, including “connecting students with professionals and other students, to create a network that cultivates the spirit of entrepreneurship.” She explained that she created the club so students with great ideas could have access to resources that could help them realize those ideas.

Black Student Union

Chinwe Ezeonu ’17 and Coach Scott manned the conservatively decorated BSU booth. They explained that the BSU meets every other Friday to discuss issues and inequalities surrounding race around the world and in Prep. The group also attends the African American Summit every year. The club currently has 30 members, and had gained 5 new members when The Panther checked in.

Pep Band

Pep Band wants more members! One of the two new clubs this year, Pep Band will be performing at football and basketball games in the first semester. Sarah Bost, the band’s new composer, was extremely enthusiastic to raise awareness for the band, which currently has a fleshed out drumline, but is looking for woodwinds, and brass. Any musicians can join, and even those who don’t play are welcome. The band practices during window, and is currently working out a schedule which will allow musicians to play in both the Pep and Instrumental bands. The band is 12 people and rising.

The clubs present in the Great Room on Friday were prime examples of Prep’s celebration of diversity and enthusiasm for learning. So don’t hesitate, join a club today!