Alumni Coaches: Kai Bond ’01 Girls Soccer Assistant Coach

Kai Bond ’01 Girls Soccer Coach

What did you play at Seattle Prep?
I was on varsity soccer all 4 years; I started as an outside right back, then switched to sweeper and later center-mid.

What do you remember about your Prep coach?
My freshman year I was really intimated by Mr. Hendricks ‘83. That’s pretty normal. It changed by senior year. I also had him as a teacher. You wouldn’t think you could tell him things, but he’s easy to talk to. I had a hard time my freshman year juggling sports and Prep academics. He’s a really good guy: always there for you. He was very supportive on and off field.

Now I’m his colleague. I can’t call him Andy – it’s too weird. I just call him Hendricks. I still see him as a teacher/mentor; he’s still my coach. We always joke around about that and we joke that he’s gotten soft. The girls (now) aren’t intimidated at all by him. But there’s still some hard-headed stubbornness.

What’s your perspective now, as a coach?
I love it. I can’t get away from the sport. I did very well in high school, All-Metro all 4 years. I played club and in college with a scholarship to USF, though I transferred to Gonzaga and finished there. With four kids in my family, scholarships were important. Prep helped me get ready for college. That was huge!

I never thought I would become a coach. I was a mental health counselor for a few years and really good at it. I always thought I would go back to counseling. But being a coach is counseling. The girls can come to me about school or stuff at home; they call me Mom. It’s important that they have that. I really like this part of coaching.

More About Coach Bond:
What was the best book you read this summer?
Peter Pan with my little ones

What was the most popular song during high school?
Anything by Snoop Dogg or N’ Sync, Backstreet Boys

What is your favorite type of sandwich?
PB&J

What would your DJ alias be?
Agent006 since my last name is Bond and I was #6 in high school

Best advice I got from a coach… work your hardest, especially as a student. Being a student always comes before athlete; athletics isn’t everything.

Advice I give my players… try your hardest, you’re still a leader even if you don’t get a lot of playing time or aren’t a captain. You represent the Prep community.