K44 Brings Juniors Together With Message of Love

Sophie Freeman, Staff Writer

Kairos is one of the most anticipated retreats at Seattle Prep. Every year, the school sends a third of the Junior class on three Kairos retreats. The three retreats include Fall, Winter, and Spring Kairos.

Kairos is a unique retreat at Seattle Prep. First, the entire Junior class does not go together. This makes the retreat more personal and meaningful. It is also a four day retreat allowing the Juniors to really immerse themselves in the experience. Finally, it is probably the most rewarding retreat a student will go on at Seattle Prep.

Although Kairos is full of secrets, it is known for being the most fulfilling retreat at Seattle Prep. It is truly an amazing privilege to go on this retreat, therefore it is encouraged that the Juniors are open to the many possibilities that Kairos offers.

Not only does a Junior get the opportunity to connect with themselves on a spiritual level, but they also get the opportunity to connect with their classmates and family members on a more personal level. Winter Kairos 44 recently returned from Vashon, Washington with big smiles, exciting stories, and new friends!

This year, Kairos 44 traveled to Camp Burton – a camp where Kairos has taken place for many years. K44 Juniors have raved about how great the weather was on all four days they were there. When the Juniors arrive at their location, they are placed in small groups with a Senior and a faculty leader. Every group has a special name such as, Hope, Strength, Courage, Faith, and many more. Each group is also represented by a color with a matching bandana as a reminder of their experience.

Warren Wandell ’18 shared, “I loved getting to see everyone for who they really are. It was so much fun to see how people act when they disconnect from friend groups and social media. It really changed how I think of a lot of people who were on my Kairos!”

Fellow Winter Kairos Juniors would agree. Henry Gruen ’18 couldn’t make up his mind about his favorite part of the retreat, “I loved the whole thing!” and Rory Belcher ’18 enthusiastically added, “I liked hearing the leader’s stories and I loved all the hugging!”

While Kairos is meant to be a fun filled retreat, it is also a time to reflect on what the student needs to do in order to lead a more spiritual life. This includes opening up to their group members, participating in new activities, and maybe even reconciling with a friend or a family member. Kairos is all about second chances. Many students who have been on this retreat would encourage those who have not gone to take advantage of the experience.

Kairos is something to appreciate and Seattle Prep students are incredibly lucky to get the opportunity to go on this retreat. K43 and K44 wish K45 the best of luck in the spring and remember to always KT4DA!