Four Years of WHAT? Seniors Share Their College Major!

Sophie Freeman, Staff Writer

On Wednesday April 26, the Seniors were asked to share what they will or want to major in when they go to college. This is a very important decision and one that takes a lot of consideration. Most importantly, however, the seniors must decide what college they are committing to. Before anything else, picking the right school is the best way to continuing their college path. Even though selecting what to study in college can be difficult, the Class of 2017 seems to have a firm grasp on what they want to major in next fall.
When asked about the major they want to study, many of the seniors were hesitant and unsure. These seniors are officially deemed as “undecided”. Applying as undecided for your first year at college is very common and considered the most popular major at certain schools. Senior, Izzie Bowman, is undecided but has chosen to attend the University of Washington in the fall. When asked about the process of helping a senior decide what they want to major in, Mrs. Goodwin said, “The best approach if you are truly undecided is to remain open your first year of college.” Mrs. Goodwin went on to explain how a student will take a series of prerequisites to understand what is the most interesting. Getting involved in electives specific to different areas of study can also help discover a passion to pursue.
As for other seniors, some know exactly what they want to study and exactly where they want to attend. There was a nice variety of majors selected among the seniors, but business and engineering were the most popular. Andy Brautigam ’17 is going to Gonzaga University and has decided he wants to major in business and economics. He said, “It’s an area with a lot of possibilities and it provides skills that I don’t just use in a job, but in everyday life.” Sierra Leza ’17 chooses to study mechanical engineering at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute and senior Natalie Pedersen will major in business at the University of Washington.
There are also some majors that cover the arts such as theater and music. Lily Dowling ’17 was accepted to the Berklee school of Music and will study songwriting and Eli Pasco ’17 will major in linguistics and minor in theatre at the University of Washington.
As hard as it can be to decide what to study for the next four years, the senior class is on the right track. Wether it may be marketing, engineering, acting, or singing, the Seattle Prep community knows that the Class of 2017 will succeed wherever they end up!