VGL Takes The Field

Lauren Day, Staff Writer

Seattle Prep’s Varsity Girls Lacrosse team, along with the other various spring sports, began it’s season on Monday, February 27.

A grand total of five freshmen, eight sophomores, five juniors, and four seniors (and counting!) will be playing this year along with the team’s brand new coach, Cait Slack. Because girls lacrosse is a small, but growing, sport at Prep, there are no cuts and girls with all levels of experience are encouraged and welcome to join the team.

Claire Alderman, a freshman and therefore one of the newest girls to the team, is “super stoked” for the season to begin. She says she’s a little nervous, but has felt completely welcomed and supported by the VGL community, especially by the team Captains, Bella Oishi ‘17 and Nicole Rasmussen ‘17.

To kickstart the season and tone the skills of the team, Oishi and Rasmussen had been hosting “captains practices;” small get togethers on the turf behind Prep’s McHugh gym. These practices, Alderman said, were a huge help in developing her skills and contributed to her feeling of being welcomed. “The captains and other girls at the practices encouraged me to work hard and cheered for me when I did something good,” she says.

This new season of VGL is looking good for both the newcomers and the returners of the game. All of the girls on the team can’t wait for the season to officially begin, and everyone is hoping that this excitement will carry over into games and events like the Jamboree the girls are playing in on Sunday, March 12. If you love lacrosse or even if you have never seen it before, be sure to come and support your Prep Panthers while the play on the lacrosse field!