The student news site of Seattle Preparatory School

The Seattle Prep Panther

Asta Wylie: On Her Way to Fame

Senior Asta Wylie will take a Gap year and pursue her musical dreams in Nashville next year. Wylie has intends to pursue her academic studies at New York University in 2018

Marianna Kindred courtesy of Asta Wylie

Marianna Kindred courtesy of Asta Wylie

Mia Griff, Staff Writer

Most students at Seattle Prep think they have a busy schedule. Between sports, homework, and extracurricular activities, we must be much busier than the average high school teen. However, those who think this have obviously never met Asta Wylie.
Between modeling gigs, teaching salsa and ballroom classes, being captain of a Zouk dance team, attending songwriting conventions, dancing for music videos, writing and singing her own music, releasing albums, and so much more, Wylie is truly the definition of an overachiever.
In the next couple of months, the seniors of Seattle Prep will have graduated and many of them will be off to college. Asta Wylie, however, is not your typical Seattle Prep senior. Although she was accepted to NYU, she has decided to defer for a year and instead is moving to Nashville to follow her passion of singing and songwriting.
It all started when she was in the eighth grade, when she injured her knee in a skiing accident. This was a major setback for Wylie, because ever since she was little she had always been a dancer. Although she had been raised on the lyrics of artists like the Dixie Chicks and Allen Jackson, dancing had been her true passion. However, without being able dance, Wylie was opened to the world of music. It was then that she learned guitar and wrote her first song. Since then, she has started over 200-300 songs and has released 10 of them to the public. She says her music is a mix of country and Seattle indie rock, influenced by artists like Keith Urban and songwriters Jeffrey Steel and Lorie Mckenna. Good luck in your journey Wylie, we will be looking for you in the Billboard top 100!