Summer On a Teen Budget: Free Activities in the 206

Annika Bjornson, Staff Writer

No matter what people’s interests or budgets look like, they are sure to be able to find fun, cheap activities within Seattle during the summer of 2017 that range from rock concerts to dance lessons in the park to maritime festivals. The Panther has provided a wide variety of opportunities below, all of which are free to participate in unless otherwise specified. Visit events12.com for more information.

-June 1-Aug 31: There are special summer discount prices to enjoy some of the main Seattle attractions. For $79, city passes are available that allow access to the Space Needle, Seattle Aquarium, Argosy Cruises Harbor Tour, Museum of Pop Culture OR Woodland Park Zoo, and Chihuly Garden & Glass OR Pacific Science Center. Paying for these tickets separately could cost $120.95 at most, so this is a pretty good deal considering it covers a lot of things.
-June 5-8: Made in Seattle Week will be held in several locations and celebrates the various things Seattle is known to produce, ranging from tech day to design day. This is best for students considering pursuing a job involving some of the local Seattle industries. Beer, business, music panels, and technology alike combine to pursue collaboration through education.
-June 16-18: Choose between the many festivals occurring on the weekend of Father’s Day. There will be a wooden yacht parade and tour at Pier 66, a Fremont Fair full of crafts and including a Sunday dog parade, a Wild Strawberry Festival in Burien with entertainment and a chili cook off, and a car show in Issaquah with plenty of family activities.
-June 25: The Seattle Pride Parade will celebrate the LGBTQ community with a parade starting at 4th & Union at 11am and ending near Seattle Center. The Pridefest is the Northwest’s biggest lesbian, gay, and transgender event. Additionally, Skandia Midsommarfest is a Scandinavian festival at Saint Edward Park in Kenmore that celebrates the summer solstice. There will be music, dance, and plenty of vendors.
-July 4: Fireworks celebrations will be occurring at: Seattle’s Gas Works Park at 10:20pm; Bellevue’s Downtown Park at 10:10pm; and Kirkland’s Marina Park at 10:15pm.
-July 18-August 17: Join Dancing Till Dusk in downtown Seattle parks for music, dance lessons, and good old, recreational dancing. There will be salsa, tango, swing, waltz, and more.
-July 21-23: For over 100 bands, DJs, craft booths, and food, go to the Capitol Hill Block Party and watch rock concerts. Pay for a $60 day pass to see Diplo, Thundercat, Snakeships, and many more. Get colorful with fingerprint and throw chalk in the air to celebrate the summer.
-July 30: Pista sa Nayon will take place at the Seward Park Ampitheater. The term refers to a “town fest,” during which Filipinos would traditionally gather for a fiesta in the middle of town after a good harvest. Celebrate Filipino heritage and culture with food, folk dance, and various other arts and entertainment.
-August 4-6: Boeing will host a seafair air show and hydroplane races on Lake Washington in the Albert Lee Cup. Watch the Blue Angels and Breitling Jet Team stun onlookers from above.
-August 5-6, 12-13, & 19-20: The Washington Midsummer Renaissance Faire will be held at Kelley Farm on Boone Lake. Mix with jesters, knights, artisans, and peasants alike!

Whether the summer of 2017 is spent working hard, traveling abroad, or preparing for college, there are many occasions to celebrate — and the cost is often free.