A Fellow Grad: Mr. Fellows

Alex Arce-Torres

Mr. Fellows ’70 monitors After School Study Hall. Fellows is a familiar presence to students and is currently working on a book about Catholic Theology.

Allison Kearney, Staff Writer

Mr. Fellows is probably best known to Prep students as the after-school study hall monitor and a substitute teacher, but what many may not know is that he was actually a graduate of Prep.

As part of the class of 1970 Mr. Fellows was a very involved student at Prep. He participated in student government his freshman through junior year and was an active member of the speech team at Prep. Back then of course, Prep was an all-boys school.

When Mr. Fellows was a student a lot about Prep was different, and not just the fact that Adelphia was still behind McDonald. Back in the sixties most teachers at Prep were priest and scholastics, Jesuit in formation, with just a handful of laymen being part of the faculty and there were no women teachers at the time. One priest on the staff at Prep was Fr. Tom Sullivan and Mr. Fellows fondly recalls him as being “a humble saintly man”. Mr. Fellows also mentioned that Prep used to be a more firm and strict environment, but has evolved into a much kinder and gentler school, yet Prep has always succeeded in forming men and women for others.

Although Mr. Fellows didn’t know that he would come back to work for Prep when he graduated he is grateful for the Prep community that he has been a part of for so long. He came back to Prep 19 years ago originally working in the Attendance Office. Later, he worked part time as a theology resource, putting his Ph. D. in religious studies to good use. Currently, he works part time as the ASSH monitor and a substitute teacher.

Today at Prep Mr. Fellows sees some great improvements that have come to the school since his time here. He emphasized that Prep does a great job with the “care and respect of all students” and “fosters a genuine sense of belonging which characterizes Prep in 2017”.

In addition to Mr. Fellows commitment to Prep he also finds time to write. For the past few years he has been working on a book about Catholic Theology. He is planning to finish his project by the end of the year and hopefully get his work published.

Mr. Fellows has been a vital part of the Prep Community for a lot of his life and Prep is very grateful for his wonderful presence.