Golf Team Mixes Talent and Youth in Undefeated Season

The golf team plays around at a recent match.

Owen Hendricks, Sports Writer

Thunder storms.  Metals poles.  The fall season of golf has just begun.  Starting off the year with a landslide victory over Eastside Catholic the Panther golf team has high hopes for this season.

Senior golf legend, Ben Douglas, said of the victory,”It was a great way to kick off our season”.  Also helping Prep soundly defeat Eastside Catholic, was Junior Caleb Cochran.  Receiving Panther of the week for shooting 37 and 39 in the first two matches.  Caleb told reporters, “It was a great honor to have my hard work being appreciated by the school.  I hope I can keep performing well to help Prep win metro.”

This past week the golf team took to the front nine to face off against the bulldogs of Garfield High.  Despite the fierceness of Bulldogs, they were no match for the might Panthers, as the Prep won again kickstarting their season to 2-0.  Junior Jack Moffit said of the match, “We be looking like Arnold Palmer out there.”

This Thursday the Panthers faced an undefeated Roosevelt team (4-0) where they deified the odds beat the former state champions.  The Panthers extended their undefeated season (3-0).  The score of the Roosevelt match was 144 to 140 with the Panthers coming out on top.  Freshman Will Gamroth had the round of his career as he shot a even par 37 to win the match for Prep.  Excited with his performance Gamroth said, “It was a great to perform so well in a match that mattered so much.”

Will Gamroth received panther of the week also for his stunning performance.  The panthers are currently undefeated siting at (3-0) as they head into their next match against Lakeside this following week.

Meanwhile in girls golf the team currently stands at 4-0 thanks to the help of sophomore golf star, Emily Petro.  Emily shot 42 against Roosevelt lifting the panthers to victory.  Emily said of her performance, “Thanks to the hydration of the school funded hydro flasks I was able to compete to the best of my abilities.”  The girls play Ballard next and hop to continue their undefeated season.  Both the boys and girls teams are off to great starts and both have good odds to win metro and state.